Freelance Content Writer
Union Street Media is seeking a creative, self-driven, and detail-oriented Freelance Content Writer. Union Street Media is an award-winning real estate digital marketing company, providing high-performing websites and custom digital marketing solutions for real estate professionals, designed to help them grow their business.
Content writing is a mix of art and science. The Freelance Content Writer is a critical thinker who understands how to craft meaningful, effective digital user experiences. The Freelance Content Writer understands consumer behavior, adapts quickly to new media, and is mindful of industry changes, emerging trends, and best practices. The Freelance Content Writer plans, governs, and measures digital content, makes data-driven decisions, and clearly and confidently communicates recommendations to others.
The Freelance Content Writer plays a crucial role in executing our clients’ and at times, Union Street Media’s digital marketing strategy, coordinating with subject matter experts and stakeholders to ensure deliverables meet or exceed goals. The role requires strong communication skills, timeliness, attention to detail, and critical thinking to ensure accuracy and a high standard of quality for all deliverables. The Freelance Content Writer is a freelance/contract position reporting to the Content Marketing and SEO Manager.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Create and optimize digital content, including website, email, and blog content
- Execute tactical content development and content optimization work, including copywriting, sourcing and optimizing images, link building, adding and updating calls to action, and more; create high quality, search engine optimized, unique content for our clients and, at times, Union Street Media
- Ensure compliance with real estate and organic search guidelines, and avoid black hat techniques that would adversely impact SEO performance and our clients’ user experience
- Evaluate large data sets to identify trends, monitor key performance indicators and recommend optimizations; prepare performance reports on a regular and ad hoc basis
- Present substantiated recommendations that have a direct bearing on SEO results, such as keyword strategies and content themes, user experience optimization, and more
- Understand client and internal goals and work collaboratively to achieve and exceed results
- Stay abreast of new developments and industry changes in organic search and digital content marketing, and translate those into actionable recommendations
- Plan smart content strategies based on client objectives, client’s current media tactics, and competitors; bring a keen attention to detail while also maintaining a big picture view to ensure that marketing efforts meet or exceed performance expectations and are aligned across channels
- Motivated and able to work independently
- Understanding of, and skilled with, all things digital
- 2+ years of related work experience or internships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable creating original content for clients and making recommendations for their digital content and user experience
- Knowledge of SEO best practices; experience implementing SEO strategies (ex. tagging, link building, UX, content management) and/or a basic understanding of HTML and CSS are preferred
- Experience with data and analytics
- Advanced computer skills, particularly Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills; knowledge of analytics and reporting platforms such as Google Analytics, Google Search Console, SEMRush, Screaming Frog, etc.
- Ability to measure the effectiveness of strategy (traffic, engagement, conversions) on client goals
- Strong time management skills; ability to manage multiple projects, hit tight deliverable timelines, and deliver effective results in a fast-paced, continuously evolving environment
- Experience with digital media strategies such as paid search, display, and social media advertising is a plus
Schedule: Position is open immediately. This is a freelance/contract position.
To Apply: email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Union Street Media is an equal opportunity employer. Leveraging the diversity of our people and sustaining a culture of inclusion is one of the key pillars of our success as a company. Bringing together people with different disciplines, different backgrounds and experiences, different cultures and from different generations makes us a stronger, better organization. Quite simply, creating a culture of inclusion and diversity of thought drives our success.